Still digging into the old recipe tin I found stashed in a moving tote. Another gem turned up, again in my grandmother’s handwriting, a recipe for “Fried Cakes.” I had to improvise because I think she assumed we would all know how to whip these up. Enjoy!
1 cup sour milk or buttermilk
½ cup sugar
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
Pinch of salt
Pinch of nutmeg
2 tablespoons melted butter
Vegetable oil (original recipe calls for fat or lard)
- Mix dry ingredients in one bowl, wet ingredients in another.
- Combine wet ingredients into dry and mix until just combined.
- Heat about 2″ vegetable oil to 375°F in an electric frying pan, or in a pan over a burner. When heated, drop by teaspoonful into hot oil. Cook until desired – light brown to golden crisp – turning with a slotted spoon if needed.
- Remove and place in a paper towel lined baking sheet to remove excess oil.
- Serve warm rolled in sugar, cinnamon sugar, confectionary’s sugar or any other desired topping.