If you’re planning on cleaning your house today, you may want to put those plans on hold and go binge-watch some Netflix instead.
Colgate-Palmolive is conducting a nationwide recall on select bottles of Fabuloso Multi-Purpose Cleaner due to a “risk of bacterial growth.” (Which is not so “fabuloso”).
The official word from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) states, “the recalled products can contain Pseudomonas species bacteria, including Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Pseudomonas fluorescens, which are environmental organisms found widely in soil and water.”
The company blames the possible contamination on a manufacturing oversight stating that “a preservative was not added at the intended levels during manufacturing.” Fabuloso assures its customers that the oversight has since been rectified.
Which Products Are Affected By the Recall?
#Recall: 4.9 million @fabulosobrand multi-purpose cleaners can contain bacteria. Infection risk to consumers with weakened immune systems. Stop using immediately. Get refund, replacement. Full recall notice: https://t.co/QzORVOCdBB pic.twitter.com/pnAWQ3l1k8
— US Consumer Product Safety Commission (@USCPSC) February 8, 2023
According to a statement on their website, fabuloso.com, the recall “encompasses 4.9 million bottles produced from December 14, 2022, through January 23, 2023.” It also includes 56,000 units sold in Canada as well. Approximately 3.9 million of these have already been pulled from store shelves.
The recall applies to 5 different scents of Fabuloso’s Multi-Purpose Cleaner, including lavender, refreshing lemon, passion of fruits, spring fresh, and ocean scent. In total, 17 distinct products are affected.
The recalled products were sold online as well as in stores, including at Walmart, Home Depot, Sam’s Club, Dollar General, Family Dollar, and amazon.com as recently as January 2023.
What health risks do the bacteria pose?
The bacteria, which can be inhaled, or entered through the eyes or a break in the skin, can pose a risk of serious infection to “people with weakened immune systems, external medical devices, or underlying lung conditions.” Exposure to the bacteria can result in a need for medical treatment.
The CPSC and Fabuloso both state that “people with healthy immune systems are usually not affected by the bacteria.”
According to WebMD, for people with cystic fibrosis, cancer, or burns, it can be life-threatening. Healthy people may experience a mild skin rash or an ear or eye infection if exposed.
Symptoms of Pseudomonas bacterial infection include:
- Ears: pain and discharge
- Skin: rash, which can include pimples filled with pus
- Eyes: pain, redness, swelling
- Bones or joints: joint pain and swelling; neck or back pain that lasts weeks
- Wounds: green pus or discharge that may have a fruity smell
- Digestive tract:headache, diarrhea
- Lungs:pneumonia; severe coughing and congestion
- Urinary:urinary tract infections
Also, be on the lookout for fever as it is also a sign of a severe pseudomonas infection.
Thankfully, there have been no reported cases of infection.
Products to look out for:
If you purchased any Fabuloso cleaners in the last two months, you’ll need to check the product’s 12-digit UPC code and manufacturing lot codes. Here is a comprehensive list of the affected products:
- 035000995025 Fabuloso® Original Multi-Purpose Cleaner, Lavender Scent, 16.9 OZ + 30% Free Bonus Pack (22 FL OZ)
- 035000530325 Fabuloso® Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Lavender Scent, 56 FL OZ
035000530585 Fabuloso® Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Lavender Scent, 128 FL OZ
- 035000531230 Fabuloso® Multi-Purpose Cleaner, Lavender Scent, 210 FL OZ
- 035110043074 Fabuloso® Professional All Purpose Cleaner & Degreaser, Lavender Scent, 1 GALLON
- 035000995018 Fabuloso® Original Multi-Purpose Cleaner, Refreshing Lemon Scent, 16.9 OZ + 30% Free Bonus Pack (22 FL OZ)
- 035000974716 Fabuloso® Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Refreshing Lemon Scent, 33.8 FL OZ
- 035000470416 Fabuloso® Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Refreshing Lemon Scent, 56 FL OZ
- 035000973542 Fabuloso® Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Refreshing Lemon Scent, 128 FL OZ
- 035000969873 Fabuloso® Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Refreshing Lemon Scent, 169 FL OZ
- 035000530981 Fabuloso® Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Passion of Fruits Scent, 33.8 FL OZ
- 035000530301 Fabuloso® Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Passion of Fruits Scent, 56 FL OZ
- 035000530608 Fabuloso® Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Passion of Fruits Scent, 128 FL OZ
- 035000458162 Fabuloso® Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Passion of Fruits Scent, 169 FL OZ
- 035000530998 Fabuloso® Multi-Purpose Cleaner Bleach Alternative 2X Concentrated Formula, Spring Fresh Scent, 56 FL OZ
- 035110043739 Fabuloso® Professional All Purpose Cleaner & Degreaser, Ocean Scent, 1 GALLON
Fabuloso® Antibacterial multi-purpose cleaning products and select other variants of Fabuloso® multi-purpose cleaning products are not included in this recall.
What to do if you have a recalled product:
If you have one of the recalled products in your cupboard, you can complete a form on Fabuloso’s website for a full refund or replacement product. You will need to include photos of both the UPC code and the manufacturing (lot) code.
Once you’ve submitted a claim, the company recommends disposing of the product in its container with household trash. Do not empty the product prior to disposal.
Questions about the Fabuloso Multi-Purpose Cleaner recall can be directed to their consumer line at 1-855-703-0166.