One of the toughest things about parenthood is sleep– as in, not getting nearly enough of it. But even when your kids start sleeping through the night, some of us are our own worst enemies when it comes to going to bed at a decent hour.
I don’t know what it is about hopping into bed at night, but suddenly sleep tends to take a backseat to… anything, really. We want to sleep, but… let’s check Facebook one more time! Let me just see what’s new on Netflix! I’m just going to read one more chapter…
Why do we DO this to ourselves, guys??
The folks of Twitter know all about procrastinating before surrendering to sleep, and are here to share their own humorous late-night exploits with you.
- Even getting to your bed can be challenging, because KIDS.
Tuck kids into bed, another potty break, tuck them back in, "I'm thirsty/hungry", tuck them back in again, "Mom, I just need [insert unnecessary item], tuck in yet again? #BeforeIFallAsleep pic.twitter.com/xQ7aLyHCiz
— Melodee (@melodee_bemis) November 6, 2019
2. To pee or not to pee: that is the question.
— Dr. Gadolinium (@TiwarijiShubh) November 6, 2019
3. Truth: it doesn’t matter- you’ll still have to get up again & again. Yay for aging bladders!
— BLitz_MD (@ThisBLitz) November 6, 2019
4. Oh, sure, your body is tired, but your brain? Wheeeee!
— ? S????? ? (@Simbra75) November 6, 2019
5. So you scroll through social media. Put phone down. Pick phone up, & repeat.
I scroll pic.twitter.com/Ag0E4Ntg1Z
— Sam Stephens (@thesteves89) November 6, 2019
6. Skipping sleep to scroll on your phone can be… painful.
— are ya spookin’, kids? ? (@vampsy) November 6, 2019
7. “One more tweet. One more YouTube video”. (Time flies when you’re in that weird YouTube rabbit hole, doesn’t it??)
— Some Guy From Ohio (@cfilm71) November 6, 2019
8. Two hours later, Netflix: “Are you still watching?” YES I AM, Netflix. Don’t judge me.
I watch "just one more" episode on Netflix #BeforeIFallAsleep
— David E (@DaSkrambledEgg) November 6, 2019
9. You finally settle down to sleep. And then it hits you: tomorrow is a school dress-up day… do we even own a cowboy hat?? Am I supposed to send a snack in?? Dammit.
— Nats?? (@Natsabu2) November 6, 2019
10. Thanks, anxiety. Sleep is overrated, anyway, apparently.
— Hawaia (@alohawaia) November 6, 2019
11. In case you left a worry off your checklist, your brain’s got it! And WILL remind you.
— days like crazy rain (@BentButterfly1) November 6, 2019
12. And let’s not forget those weird, irrational fears that strike at 2am…
#BeforeIFallAsleep … I look under the bed seven times. Not six, like a wuss…not eight like some psycho, but seven times.
— Ham on Wry (@realHamOnWry) November 6, 2019
13. Then you begin the countdown: “If I fall asleep right now, I can still get…”
— Paige (@XxPAGZxX) November 6, 2019
14. At least baby is sleeping… until you start to fall asleep, at least. How do they DO that??
— Marin Andreea (@MarinAn47339233) November 7, 2019
15. If you sleep at all, that is, because again, KIDS.
— That PA Dude (@Mr_GuyWise) November 6, 2019
16. You try to ensure that you’ll wake up on time after being up so late…
— Joe (@PhantomNuts) November 6, 2019
17. Unless you forgot to set an alarm- whoops!
— Baby Deadpool Ethereal Boomstick (@Eminem11684) November 6, 2019
The best part: you’re so tired the next morning that you promise yourself you’ll go to bed early that night… but you know you’re lying!