Dealing with Life When One Parent Is Incapacitated by an Accident on the Job



Each and every day someone is injured on the job and according to statistics from the United States Department of Labor that number totals at least 13 deaths daily due to these injuries. That’s a figure totaling more than 4,800 fatalities a year throughout the entire country.

However, what happens when a parent isn’t killed on the job but is left with a permanent incapacity to work or carry on many of the tasks of daily living? If you or a loved one has been injured while undertaking a job-related task, on the clock that is, what recourse do you have? How will you support your minor children and continue living knowing that you can never work again? Here are a few things you might need to know.

Help Is Out There

So many injured workers struggle through fighting their employer’s insurance company on their own and the sad thing about this is that it is possible to be represented by a winning Personal Injury Attorney who can get you the maximum benefits for the type of injury you sustained without attempting to do it on your own and sifting through legal case studies. Brain and spinal cord injuries are often the ones that lead to total disability and the ones that are sometimes hardest to fight.

What you should know is that there are seasoned attorneys who have a history of winning personal injury claims and so before trying to duke it out with your employer or their insurance company, contact your own lawyer who will act on your behalf. Also, keep in mind that money will typically not change hands until your case is won. Then the attorney will take the legal agreed upon amount from the total awarded.

What to Do in the Interim

When waiting for the final judgment on your claim against your employer and/or their insurance company there may be bills you simply can’t pay. No parent wants to be homeless with minor children or left without power and utilities. There are government benefits you could apply for through your County Social Services Department that typically offer a cash award monthly, food stamps and Medicaid for your family if your employment insurance is terminated.

Financial aid comes in the form of a TANF (Temporary Aid for Needy Families) and although most people don’t want to live on government grants, they are there for you if you are incapacitated and unable to provide for your family. It is bad enough getting injured on the job but when there is a family that will suffer due to this unforeseen event, the best thing you can do is to get legal representation as soon as possible and apply for benefits from your County Social Services department.

You may be receiving benefits from your employer but if these are insufficient to meet your basic needs, help is out there. From county offices to church and civic groups, don’t be too proud to ask. You were injured on the job and as a result you are going through a rough patch. These benefits are temporary until your attorney wins your award so reach out for help and let your lawyer get what you need to make the rest of your life comfortable. That’s what they are for and why they specialize in personal injury law. Have you been injured on the job? If so, don’t delay. Get help today so that your tomorrows can be financially assured.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here