These days it’s all a balancing act – working from home, online schooling, and parenting – all while trying to keep your sanity. The pandemic has forced many parents to work from home either full or part-time. While working remotely has its benefits, such as having no daily commute and being able to work in the comfort of your home, it also has its drawbacks. You’re now spending day and night in your home which means that if not kept in check, your professional and personal life can blend into one.
Here are some quick tips for parenting and working from home so you can maintain a healthy lifestyle:
- Organize Your Space – Declutter your home and work area so you’re able to focus on one or the other as needed.
- Create A Work Area – To be productive in your job you need an area of your home that’s designated “for work only.” This way you can shut the door on your job at the end of the day and spend time with your family.
- Optimize Your Office Space – Set up your workspace so it’s comfortable and relaxing. You can do this by letting in as much natural light as possible, adding green plants, and listening to nature playlists that bring in the sounds of the outdoors.
- Compromise with Family – There are a lot of variables to working from home and there are going to be times when your job and family are going to compete with one another. Learn to make compromises when you need to.
- Communicate Your Needs Clearly – Make sure everyone in your household is on the same page when it comes to you working remotely. Give everyone the opportunity to say what’s on their mind, no matter their age. Even your youngest child needs to know that you’re listening to how they feel and what they think.
- De-stress With Self-Care – Working from home and parenting at the same time can be stressful. You can manage your stress by taking care of yourself. Both your mental and physical health will benefit from regular exercise, meditation, and nutritious eating.
The tips here can help make working from home a success for both you and your family. It’s important to evaluate the different factors of your health () and where you can be better. The visual below has more advice and tips to create an optimized space conducive to juggling remote work while parenting. (courtesy of Rocket Mortgage):